3 or 4 February 2018
|Coordinator: Scott Wyatt |
Please read carefully if you're potentially interested.
Potentially interested? Please let me (Scott Wyatt)
- I propose running a day trip to Brush Island on either
Saturday the 3rd, or Sunday the 4th of March tbc. Day chosen would largely
depend on marine forecast towards the end of that week. If conditions are
looking unusually good, I'd consider turning it into a full weekend trip.
- Even for the 'day trip' option, you could easily camp if you
preferred not to drive down and back on the one day. I can pass on information
on the nearby, very pleasant campground we usually use.
- My main goal is to get a couple of dives done on the
'Pinnacle'. In my view, this is one of the best sites on the South Coast.
Excellent fish life would usually include some grey nurse sharks at this time
of year, big schools of kingfish, tropicals... I've been buzzed dramatically by
a fairly large shark there before - probably dusky whaler. We sometimes have
the odd seal around too. Fixed life a bit deeper is great too - sponges, sea
whips etc... Some folks have seen hammerheads at this site and nearby. The top
is around 20m and the sand's about 42m. One doesn't have to go to 40m to get
the most out of the site, but the option's there if you want it. There's a nice
cave at the bottom. Is a no-take / no fishing area. The 'downside' is it's
prone to currents and is a few ks offshore. Unless the current is absolutely
ripping, we'd still plan to dive. The focus will very much be this superlative
site, though would be open to trying one of the other offshore ones if folks
want to mix it up a bit for the second run. Hence unfortunately, the Pinnacle
(and several of the other sites around there) is not really suitable for novice
divers. As per previous comment, you don't need to go to 40m here, but folks
need to be able to cope with diving in current. Call me if you want to discuss.
- Water will very likely be very warm.
- Coastal scenery is wonderful.
- Seen dolphins frolicking around the bay before several times
inc right around the boat.
- Launching would be from Kioloa boat ramp, timing tbc.
Obviously, if run as a day trip, there'd be an early start from Canberra for
those just going for the day.
*I'll just put folks in touch with one another.
- Your full name and mobile no (please include name in subject
field of email too)
- Can you tow one of the boats?
- Do you need a lift or could you offer one?*
- If we don't know each other, roughly how experienced are you?
- Are you a full time student?
- Do you have a boat licence and can you drive the boat (and all
it entails) independently?
- What are your preferences or constraints for which day / full weekend? +
+ e.g. 'I can only go Saturday', 'I'm keen for either day', 'I can do either
day and would be keen on full weekend' etc.
-- Scott Wyatt