2-3 February 2018
|Coordinator: Scott Wyatt |
Susie and I will be running a weekend trip to Montague Island on 3-4 February.
Montague is a fantastic diving location and this is a great time of year to go
there. Seals, grey nurse sharks and large numbers of fish, including some
tropical species, are almost guaranteed. More unusual, spectacular critters
sighted at Montague environs include: whale sharks, sunfish, marlin etc. I've
been circled by huge schools of kingfish, buzzed by dolphins on Darling wreck
last time, I could go on... 'Tropical' Diadema sea urchins are another unusual
attraction at Monty. Small test (body) with very long spines - shining a torch
at them reveals spectacular red colouration.
If interested, please let me (Scott Wyatt) know:
- Trip suitable for divers of all experience levels. You can
essentially 'pick your max depth' and have plenty to see whatever your dive
- We can dive wherever we collectively decide, but I'm
personally keen for spots along the north side of the island, where the sharks
are and where there's more depth, with attendant prolific fixed life, for those
that want to go a bit deeper. A more 'exploratory' run to the north-east side
of the island is a possibility.
- Diving the wreck of the SS Lady Darling is also an option, as
we have the permit to do this. Not something I'll personally push for, but
happy to accommodate if there's an appetite and provided the current isn't
running too hard. I'd be willing to skipper a run there after island diving
provided we have benign conditions.
- Assuming both boats are operational, we'll take both boats.
- Camping will be a Mystery Bay, about 10kms south of Narooma -
very pleasant, family-friendly spot with a couple of nearby beaches. See club's
- Boats will be launched from Wagonga Inlet, Narooma. Boat ramp
is on north side of inlet, near the bar / mouth of inlet. Take Centenary Drive
- the turnoff is about 250m north of the bridge along the Princess Highway.
- Double dives are a possibility I'll consider - so please bring
- I don't want to mess anyone around, but I will definitely
postpone the trip if weather forecast looking poor. Too big a swell makes
crossing the bar dangerous and very strong winds can also be risky and just
unpleasant. Will keep close eye on situation in days leading up to weekend.
- Your full name (please also include in subject field of reply
- Can you tow a boat? If so, can you tow either, or just Tigg?
- If we don't know each other, roughly how many dives have you
- Do you have a boat licence and more importantly and you
experienced and comfortable enough to act as skipper / driver on a boat run out
to the island and through the bar?
- Will you be diving both days?
- Do you have a strong preference for being on the first run on
Saturday? (No guarantees - but I'll do my best.)