ANUSC
Home :: Dive Trips :: Info :: Member List :: Gear :: Boats :: Safety :: Environment :: Camp Sites :: Social :: Buy-Swap-Sell :: Site Index :: Joining the Club

Bristol Point

14-17 April 2017 

Coordinator: Charlotte Rouse 

PLACES ARE LIMITED on this trip as we only have a limited amount of campsites, which are hard to book at Easter. I have 3 large sites booked at Bristol Point. Realistically these can have 4-6 small tents on them. To sign up, please send me an email (charlotterouse@live.co.uk) and I will send you an excel sheet to fill in your details.

Jervis Bay (Bristol Point) 14-17th April 2017 - Easter

Jervis Bay is a scenic area with some fantastic marine life and underwater topography and we've got 4 days in which to explore. The coastal scenery is spectacular. It's just awesome diving outside the bay below 100m high cliffs that plunge into 30+m of water. Inside the bay, Jervis Bay has gentle shallow diving that is as good, if not better than the deep stuff - and for your 2nd or 3rd dive of the day - its a great way to finish the day. The big plus this location is that even with poor weather there is usually somewhere good to dive that is sheltered. Just check these photos from previous trips:

http://scuba.club.anu.edu.au/trips/2014/0607_jervisbay/

Diving

The intention is for this trip to cater for divers of all levels. Beginners are welcome, and for those who want it and if conditions permit, we can dive some deeper, more exposed sites. The water is often clear at this time of year, and the days warm and sunny. We can decide on sites once we're down.
For info, see Michael McFadyen's site '... The coast from Currarong to Wreck Bay covers more than 25 kilometres and represents one of the most untouched and spectacular sections of the NSW coastline, with towering cliffs rising straight out of the water. I have calculated that you could spend three months at Jervis Bay, diving twice each day, and still not dive the same spot more than once... ' - Michael McFadyen
http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=116

Air Fills

I expect to be taking the club compressor, if not, there's a dive shop at Huskisson about 20 mins drive away from where we're camping (so a bit of a drive)

Costs

Camping - $14 per tent per night (assumes small to medium sized tent) plus $12 per person per night (children $5)
Show up fee - $10 (pays towards petrol for boat towing)
Dives - $15 - $20 ($5 discount for F/T students)
Air fills -$8
Petrol Money - if someone gives you a lift

Accomodation

We'll be camping at Bristol Point on the south side of Jervis Bay. The attraction besides the bush setting is that this campground has hot showers. See links below for information on camping at Bristol Point. Do NOT pay park entry fee or for camping on the way in. I've prepaid for the camping and this includes park entry. Once we know who is going I will confirm arrangements for park entry etc.
http://www.parksaustralia.gov.au/booderee/plan/camping.html

Getting there - Nerriga Route Option: (now fully paved!)

This is 40kms shorter than the Goulburn / Moss Vale / Kangaroo Valley route and should avoid Easter Traffic issues. You go to Bungendore, continue on to Tarago then Nerriga. On the Braidwood Road look out for the turn-off onto Turpentine Road and follow signs to Sanctuary Point. You will come out at a big roundabout where there is a shopping mall and petrol station. Turn right at this roundabout to enter Booderee Park, and take the left for Bristol Point campground.
http://www.parksaustralia.gov.au/booderee/pub/map.pdf

Gear Issue and Boat Preparation

Gear issue is on TUESDAY 11th April at 5:30 pm at the gear shed, North Oval.

Safety

As always, if you've not dived with the Club before (and even if you have!), PLEASE read about how Club Trips work so that you will have a realistic expectation of what we can provide (lots) and what we expect from you (the same!). Particularly read the section on Safety and diving at the level you feel safe with as well as the club's Safety Information and Dive Tips.

-- Charlotte.

Weather :: Joining ANUSC :: Links :: News :: Contact Us :: Copyright