This is the first call for the New and Rusties dive trip on the 25th-26th Feb to Jervis Bay. This trip is specifically for new members to the club, or those who haven't been diving in a while.
Some assistance would be greatly appreciated from our regular members- especially anyone who can tow, has a boat license or has experience anchoring.
To sign up for the trip (it's first come first serve):
2. Make sure that you are a club member and an ANU sports association member (if you are an ANU student, you are automatically a member) by signing up at the gym reception desk
If you are new to the club, here is a run-down of how the trip will run:
- We have 14 complete sets of gear (bcd and regs with computer), tanks and a few weight-belts (these normally have to be shared on a busy trip).
- You pick up the gear that you need to hire on Thursday 23rd Feb at 5.30pm from the club shed which is on the ANU North Oval. You will need cash for the deposit ($10 per item) plus if you are not a full time student, cash for the hire fee ($10
per item). Please hire one tank per diver and we will take the rest as 'club spares'. This is also the time we prep the boats and any other equipment for the tow down, so please help out if you can.
- There are limited car parking spaces at the camp-site so I'll try and coordinate shared cars (2 people per car max, each with dive and camp gear). Please make sure to fill out when you can leave and where in Canberra you are departing from in the excel
sheet to make this easier. People usually drive down Friday evening, but if you need to you can come early Saturday morning.
- The camp site we have booked is Bristol Point (https://parksaustralia.gov.au/booderee/plan/camping.html
). This is a national
park campsite, but it does have hot showers! We are close to Huskisson if you want to eat out, and also close to a big supermarket at Vincentia if you need supplies.
- Saturday morning we will plan to have a quick demo of how to use the club computers, some essential boat info and also a weight check for those who need it.
- I will plan the first two dives based on the excel spreadsheet and let you know which dive you are on beforehand. Each boat has space for 6 divers, we will decide the dive location on the day based on everyone's experience and the weather. The other
dives will be organised on the day, depending on time and how keen people are. Saturday evening we will have a dive planning session for Sunday.
- Air fills can be done at the dive shop in Huskisson. They are $8 each (mention that you are with the ANU Club), and you need to arrange to fill your own tanks after dives. Usually a couple of people take down a car full, but make sure that it's not the
same people going each day.
- Gear return will be Thursday 2nd March at the club shed. Please rinse out any club gear before it comes back to receive your deposit, and make sure tanks are returned full.
If anyone has any queries, please don't hesitate to send me an email.
This trip will be pretty relaxed and there are dive sites to suit every ability. Jervis Bay is one of my favourite locations and sites include the Nursery (octopus, cuttlefish, wobbygongs, last year I found a GoPro here!), the Docks (great for nudibranch
and Port Jacksons) and Bowen Island (home to weedy seadragons).
Hope to see many of you down there for some fantastic diving!